30.9.09

On trust...

trust |trəst|
firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something : relations have to be built on trust |they have been able to win the trust of the others.acceptance of the truth of a statement without evidence or investigation : I used only primary sources,taking nothing on trust.the state of being responsible for someone or something : a man in a position of trust.poetic/literary a person or duty for which one hasresponsibility : rulership is a trust from God.poetic/literary a hope or expectation : all the great trusts
I received something in the mail today that reminded me of what it feels like to trust. Over a decade ago I was engaged to a boy who was in the Navy, stationed in Hawaii. He worked on a submarine and I wanted to share my beloved "blankie" with him, given to me when I was a baby. I mailed it to him while he was in Hawaii and when he came back to shore six months later he mailed it back to me. A few months later we was going back out to sea and I gave it back to him. Each time I mailed it to him I trusted my precious blanket would make it back to me.

...until we broke up. I asked for it back and he said no longer had it. We drifted apart, as people sometimes do, and recently met up again on a popular social network where we became "friends". Eventually, this new union would lead to me getting my blanket mailed back to me neatly folded in a Ziploc bag.

It was an overwhelming feeling to have a physical memory, an actual historical artifact from my life; make it's way back to me yet again. It was poignant and surreal for me. The Universe has given me a gift for innately trusting albeit so long ago.

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing story. Thankfully your ex-boyfriend came to his senses.

    ReplyDelete